Temperatures are down, but the heat at home is up. Winter is a prime time for carbon monoxide poisoning.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 400 Americans die from carbon monoxide poisoning each year. Make sure you and your loved ones are safe by following these simple guidelines.
1. Make sure nothing is covering or blocking your vents. Remember to check the outside stack or vent for your dryer, fireplace, stove and furnance.
2. Have your chimney checked or cleaned every year. Also have a qualified technician check your heating system and water heater. Do not patch a vent pipe with tape because it can cause a carbon monoxide build-up.
3. Do not start your car, grill or generator in a closed area such as your garage or basement.
And of course, don't forget to install AND maintain (check the batteries) of your carbon monoxide detectors!