Hurricane Prep for Our Business Clients

Posted by Kenneth Auerbach on Fri, Oct 26, 2012

■ Consider installing impact-resistant film on your windows.

■ Gather a list of vendors and telephone numbers of individuals or entities that are critical to your daily operations. If you rely heavily on one or two vendors, consider adding a backup vendor outside of your area.

■ Prepare a list of companies that can assist you in recovery efforts, such as removing debris, moving and computer services.

■ Provide employees with a chain of command and list of responsibilities in the event that a disaster strikes.

■ Prepare a list of your employees and their contact information. Also find out where they may vacate to, if you are required to evacuate the city.

■ Arrange for communication with your clients and customers, in the event of a disaster, to keep them informed.

■ Designate a remote phone number on your voicemail system for which you can record messages to employees in the event of an emergency.

■ Arrange for programmable call forwarding of your business lines with the phone company. Then you can call and reprogram your phones from a remote location, if needed.

■ Install emergency backup lights that turn on when the power goes out.

■ Back up your data on a frequent basis and keep this information off-site.

■ Power down all computer equipment.

Tags: Hurricane preparation, business

Your Homeowners Policy & Storm Damage... What's Covered?

Posted by Kenneth Auerbach on Fri, Oct 26, 2012

Home Button

Generally, how does my homeowners policy respond to storm damage to my property?

Your homeowners policy covers most losses that may occur to your dwelling and personal property. Commonly, losses resulting from theft, fire, wind, vehicles and vandalism are covered.

What if there is damage because of a storm?

A standard homeowners policy covers storm damage to the dwelling, its contents and other structures such as garages and fences, up to the policy limit. Such damage also acts as a trigger for coverage of other consequential losses and expenses including removal of debris and loss of use.

What if my family and I cannot live in our home because of the damage?

When storm damages make it necessary to leave your home temporarily, your homeowners policy covers the additional costs necessary to maintain your normal standard of living for such things as meals, lodging, laundry, transportation, entertainment, etc.  You will need to present receipts for all of your expenses to be reimbursed.

What clean-up expenses can I expect to recover following a storm?

Your homeowners policy will cover costs for removal of debris when covered property is damaged. Th is includes the removal of trees that fall on covered structures, but this coverage for trees usually is limited to $1,000 for a single storm.

Am I covered for protecting my property from damage?

Your policy obligates you to protect your property from further damage following a loss as a condition to payment of your claim. You can expect your policy to pay for such expenses to board windows and make emergency repairs. Also, property removed from your home to protect it from an impending storm receives more comprehensive coverage than what is provided at your home—for a limited period of time, it covers fl ood, earthquake and any direct damage to your dislocated property without exclusions. However, the expenses to remove the property from harm’s way is not a covered expense.

What damages are not covered by my homeowners policy?

Trees, shrubs and gardens damaged or destroyed by the storm are not covered.  The spoilage of food due to an inoperative refrigerator or freezer resulting from an off -premise power outage is not covered by many policies, unless the appliances are inoperative because the damage to power lines or other utility equipment occurred on your property; for example, lightning damage to your circuit box or a tree falling on power lines connected to your home.

It is important to note that there is no coverage for any damage that is a direct result of flood, surface water or water that backs up through sewers or drains that is caused by an act of nature (a storm).

How can I find out what is covered in my specifi circumstances?

The information provided here includes general guidelines for storm damage coverage. You should contact our agency for definite answers and further advice.

Courtesy of the Professional Insurance Agents of New Jersey


Tags: Flood, homeowner policy, storm damage

Get Ready for Hurricane Sandy

Posted by Kenneth Auerbach on Thu, Oct 25, 2012

Protect you Family & your Property with essential advice from the National Weather Service.

Tags: Hurricane Sandy, national weather service, prepare